Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Here Is The News.

'Is it true?'

These three little words have been the bain of my life today. Although, thankfully, nothing happened in my county overnight the rumours flying around have heightened public fear way out of proportion to what is actually happening. The rumours I've heard to day include....
The Arndale, Primark, Debenhams, the police station, the railway station are on fire.
There are groups of hooded youths roaming around almost every town and village center.
The is going to be a riot at 12, 1, 2, 3, 4.........o'clock.
Hundreds of youths are travelling into the area for a riot.

Thankfully not one of these rumours developed into anything substantial. However there are still messages on Facebook claiming things are happeing or about to happen and others messages trying to arrange things. It may have worked in London but it does not seem to be working here. Sadly there were deaths in other areas last night, let's hope they bring people to their senses and the disturbances stop now. Of course the news channels are still offering blanket covering of events. I'm not sure this is a good thing because I think it encourages competition between the brain dead. 'Oh look their part of the town is on Sky, let's make sure our part is too.' Also there will be those who maybe hadn't thought of causing trouble but having seen it on the TV think it looks like fun and go out to copy what they have seen. I am convinced that without the blanket coverage things would not have got so bad or spread so far.

It had to happen , no sooner do police respond to the accusations that they are not doing enough or acting firmly enough by baton charging groups of youths, than they get accused of now being too heavy handed. Brilliant! Maybe if those making these claims had had their homes or businesses trashed they would change their tune.

Aside from the rioting there was a very sad event last night. The Norman King public house in Dunstable was burnt down. This ancient thatched building dated back to the 1300's and naturally enough was a listed building. Only yesterday I drove past it and thought that I really must find time to pay it a visit as I've always wanted to see inside. Yet another thing I have left too late. When will I learn, if I want to do something I must go and do it sooner rather than later.

It was the last day of my week today and I am so relieved that I made it to the end. There were times when I thought I might not but I started to feel physically better about half way through. Now I don't know if this means the chest infection has finally cleared up or whether the increase in dosage has finally kicked in, probably both but by Tuesday I certainly had a bit more get up and go. Tonight I'm dropping another of the sickness tablets so I'll be down to one a day. So far so good but I'm still carrying them everywhere with me so I can take one at the first sign of trouble. Tomorrow I have absolutely nothing planned so I'm going to have a lazy day. We are all at home so I'm going to cook a nice family meal and if the weather is nice do a bit of pottering in the garden.

Life seems to be on the up again, I just hope this time it stays going up, with no dips.