Friday 25 May 2012

As Sure As Sunshine Follows The Rain.

Following the disappointment of Monday I got a call from the Brompton while at work on Wednesday to say they will do my Right Heart Catheter for me next week. They have made me top priority with a 'Do Not Cancel' marker next to my name so short of the whole of London shutting down this time next week it will all be over and I should be on my way home. Maybe the tide is turning in my favour at last.

Work was OK, at least it helped take my mind off my situation. There is nothing like someone screaming for help on the end of the phone to concentrate the mind and make you forget everything else. I'm still on my eight hour days but am now toying with the idea of giving nine hours a go, just to see if I can do it. My contracted hours are ten hours per day, four days per week but I haven't been able to do that since I had my line put in and this bothers me. Getting back to full time is my ongoing goal and I'm determined to get there, even if it is only for a day. I'll see how I feel after my RHC, as I've been feeling pretty good since my scare in February, and decide then.

Summer has finally arrived and boy don't we know it. Sitting in the office in full uniform and surrounded by computers is not pleasant, especially as the air con doesn't seem to be working. I can't really complain though, I always feel better when the sun is out and as long as it doesn't get too hot, heat makes breathing more difficult, I enjoy it by sitting out in the garden with a good book.

Today is Andrew's very last day, apart from exams, at school. I'm still trying to take it all in, where has the time gone? As is tradition he will be taking place in the three legged fancy dress race from school to pub. He is dressing as a Ninja while his partner will be in full pirate gear. Still it is better than last years effort when two students ran the race in mankinis, I don't think the deputy headmistress has ever recovered. Andrew has already sat one exam and has another three to come, thankfully none clashing with my hospital appointments. If the weather holds he will spend the next few week revising al fresco or sunbathing as I know it.

The torch relay has sunk to even greater depths after Will.I.Am (stupid name) did a stint. You could tell he was really into the occasion by the way he didn't stop texting on his phone. What I want to know is why he carried the torch anyway. The people picked are supposed to be British local hero's, William is neither.

In the news today is the desperately sad story of sixty three stone teenager Georgia Davies. This poor girl fell seriously ill at her home in South Wales and in order to get her to hospital half her house had to be demolished. Now I don't usually have anytime for people in this sort of situation as I believe as they got themselves into the mess, it is up to them to get themselves out. However in this case I feel nothing but sympathy for her and I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of her mother. It isn't as though Georgia hasn't tried to lose weight. A few years back she took part in one of America's notorious 'fat camp' programmes and lost an impressive 14st 6lbs, shrinking from a size Size 38 to Size 22 . However she soon put weight on and when asked why her reply was telling, “When I arrived home my mum said she hadn't had time to prepare any healthy food, so we had fish and chips instead.”

It must be obvious to everyone that this girl has been subject to a form of child abuse all her life. Her mother, who weighs a relatively small eighteen stone herself, has been over feeding Georgia for the whole of her nineteen years. As a result Britain's biggest teen is now in hospital suffering from multiple organ failure. If she does recover, and I sincerely hope she does, it would be suicidal to let her go back to a mother who 'hasn't got time' to encourage her daughter to eat healthily. Georgia should be encouraged to go it alone and her mother should be jailed for child cruelty and ordered to pay the costs of her daughter's rescue and treatment.

Well I'm off to enjoy the weather while it is here and can feel a doze in the sun coming on. Happy days.


No comments:

Post a Comment