Tuesday 7 June 2011

But Still They Begin, Needles And Pins


Progress has been made in the small matter of Halfords and their disabled bays. I received two emails this morning. One from Halfords which turned out to be yet another automated reply saying they would get back to me within five working days. The other was from the owners of the retail park and I've copied it below.

Dear Hazel,
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will be speaking to Halfords as soon as possible to explain why their actions are obviously unacceptable. Please be assured of my best intentions to put this right.
Regards

This could be interesting.

Went to my GP to pick up my Clexane this morning. This drug is given by weight so I had to hop on the scales and got a big surprise. Last time I was weighed I was 53 kilos, today I weighed 46 kilos, even my doctor was surprised and gave me a quick lecture on the importance of eating properly. I was given a prescription for two ready filled syringes and a quick run through on how to inject myself and then sent off to a chemist to pick the syringes up. Arriving home I tentatively opened the box, took a quick look inside and hastily closed the box again. And there the box sat for most of the day. Every so often I went and picked up the box, rattled it then replaced it. By four o'clock I was getting cross with myself so decided to give it a go. Andrew was home by then and offered to do it for me. The gleam in his eye was enough of an incentive to take one of the syringes out of the box and look at it more closely. It was in sealed sterile plastic packaging and looked enormous. I ripped the packaging off and pinched up a fold of skin in my stomach all ready to go then remembered I hadn't taken the cap off. Once the cap was off and I could see the needle I nearly passed out and felt very, very sick. I grabbed the fold of skin again and made a quick ineffective jab at it and yelled 'I can't do this' and pulled the needle out again. Andrew took the syringe off me to allow me to calm down and again offered to do it for me. To cut a long story short after a couple more aborted attempts I did manage to inject the drug. I am still shaking.

Packed, un packed and re packed my bag today. I found it hard to sit still for long. I spent the day sorting out last minute things like feeding the tomato plants and typing up receipes of favourite pastas in the hope the boys will give them a go. I now feel reasonably confident that they will survive the week without me.

Andrew took his last exam today and the cheerful him has returned, I suspect the fridge raiding fairy will soon follow. Now he's moaning about having to go back to school to start year thirteen on Monday. The school he is at gives 6th formers a month longer taster session of the A level courses to help the students decide whether they want to stay on and if they do which subject from their AS levels they are going to drop. They advantage of this system is that when they start year thirteen proper they are already a whole month ahead in their studies. I am trying to persuade him that this is a good thing but he is not convinced. He feels he's worked hard enough this year and deserves a long holiday.

Phoned my mother to tell her about the hospital appointment and it transpires that not only has my sister not visited her but she hasn't called her either. I will have to give my sister a call and find out what is going on, hope this isn't because her illness has taken a turn for the worse.

The blogs will continue during my stay in hospital thanks to their wifi system. Do be warned though that I will be describing the procedure and anything else that happens during my time there. My intention is to inform, not freak anyone out but if you are easily freaked and don't like medical stuff I'd read with caution.

2 comments:

  1. I came across this today:
    http://anettesexcitingblog.blogspot.com

    You may have something in common - a Hickman line for instance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I spelt Annette incorrectly in first comment. Should be:
    http://annettesexcitingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete