Sunday, 7 April 2013

Pumped Up

I was so angry this morning I did something I've never done before, I wrote a letter of protest. Well email actually but same thing.

What made me so angry? Well this article

Read it and see how you feel, lets hope there are lots and lots of parking tickets coming her way.

So with feathers slightly ruffled back to the blog. I had a bit of a turn last night. I was standing in the bedroom when the room began to swim and I felt really sick. I slumped down on the bed gasping for breath and my heart felt as though it was trying to break free of my chest. I've had a few of these episodes lately but none as bad as this. After, what seemed a lifetime, it suddenly cleared and I was back to normal. Weird or what?

My chest infection continues to clear but I now have a head cold. I knew I shouldn't have gone to that hospital on Friday. Every time I go I pick something up. Still I am feeling much better than I felt last week and with three days of antibiotics to go I think the infection will clear up nicely.

Apart from my little turn I also had a hissy fit over my pump.

The pump and the line that attaches it to me.

I get so fed up of having an hour of my day, every day taken over by pumps and needles and medication. Apart from being boring it is a real pain in the backside. One little slip up and I have to start from scratch as I cannot risk getting any infection in my line. I also hate having to cover everything in cling film whenever I want a shower. I've forgotten once or twice and then worried for days afterwards that I might have infected myself. Popping pills is nothing, no matter how many, to the preparation and changing of the pump, not once but twice a day, every day, for the rest of my life or until transplant, whichever comes sooner.

Yesterday I decided I'd had enough and I wasn't going to do it anymore but after half an hour of ranting and muttering to myself I decided I didn't want to be rushed into hospital, especially the Lethal and Deadly, and sat down and got on with it. I'll be fine now for another couple of months and then I'll have another 'moment' and carry on. It's what I do, it's how I cope.

From the top left; alcohol wipes, clear dressing, line, two dressing packs,
two boxes of meds, two 50ml syringes, two cassettes,
three packs of sterile gloves, four needles, two 10ml syringes,
one sachet of Normasol sterile water

Last night I had a dream that I was walking up a mountain, back pack on, bottle of water in hand. The sun was shining and, although it was hot and the going tough, I was reveling in the experience. When I woke up I realised I was reliving my trek up the volcano in Hawaii. The last time I remember being really well. One day I'll repeat the adventure but when I do I'll treasure it far more than I did then. I was fit and healthy and took it for granted as everyone does, such a shame that we never realise how lucky we are until it is all taken away.

On the beach at Wakiki

This afternoon I am taking Andrew to the airport as he is flying out to Bulgaria to spend a week with his girlfriend. I've only just got used to him being home and now the house will be quiet again and the fridge and larder well stocked, well for a week anyway.

I've decided that despite my cold I'm going back to work tomorrow. I feel fine in myself, even though I'm a little bit bunged up, so I'm going to give it a go. If I feel ill or find I'm getting too tired I'll come home again but I am already getting cabin fever so I have to try.

The weather is improving. My weather station recorded a temperature of 10.4C yesterday afternoon. Even though it is still devoid of any colour the garden looked quite inviting. I resisted though, I am definitely not up for that as yet. With a bit of luck we might get a whole week of double figures. I'll just be happy if Peter doesn't have to scrap ice off the car tomorrow morning.

P.S. For those of you who have asked, yes the picture on the side bar was taken before PH.