Friday 14 June 2013

Lying Down On The Job

My cold has improve only so far as my throat is a little less croaky. My breathing is fine at the moment and I don't feel 'unwell'. I'm hoping that this is as bad as it gets as it is going to be terribly embarrassing if I have to ring work on Monday and say I can't come in.

Talking of embarrassing situations I had a doozy on Thursday.

The Church Roof

Despite the drizzle and my cold I decided I really wanted to get out of the house. I hoped the fresh air would make me feel better so I grabbed my camera and off we went. After a meander through the countryside we finally came across the quaint villages of Ivinghoe and Pitstone, both just over the boarder in Hertfordshire.

The church in Ivinghoe was particularly fine and more to the point it was open. I had a wonderful time snapping away at the windows, statues and wall hangings. Then I looked up and saw the most wonderful wooden roof. There were two ways I could take a picture, one was to stand and lean backwards as far as I could without falling over or the other was to lie on my back. Guess which one I chose, much to the astonishment of two elderly ladies who were arranging the flowers on the alter and whom I'd failed to spot. A hurried explanation and a compliment on their beautiful church seemed to satisfy that my intentions were honorable but I didn't hang around for long after that. The result, however was worth it, as I hope you'll agree.

Today we were up early as we were taking Andrew down to Hatfield for his final lecture while we cleared his room.

St Mary's Ivinghoe

After dropping Andrew off at the campus we then went to his room to clear out what we'd had to leave on the last trip. This took less than twenty minutes so we were left with three and a half hours to fill so we decided to go to the Galleria for a wander. We arrived at nine thirty only to find it didn't open until ten. Reluctant to sit in the car for half an hour we made tracks to Welwyn Garden City. There, much to our delight, we found an astonishing array of charity shops and came away with armfuls of books, most of which looked unread. We stopped for coffee, mainly so I could have some down time and then we were off again. By the time we made it back to the car I was shattered but had enjoyed myself so much I didn't care.

After picking Andrew up and a quick lunch at Burger King, his choice not ours, we sat in a traffic jam on the M1 for half an hour before making it home for a nice cup of tea and the papers.

I intend to spend the rest of the day doing nothing more energetic than lifting a cup to my lips and peeling a banana.

St Mary's, Ivinghoe

Tomorrow I'm off to Bedford for a spot of face painting. I promised so I'll be there, it is too late to pull out now and I've been promised as much tea and cake as I can swallow. I am easily bought.

Well the settee calls, as does the kettle, tomorrow's blog will depend on my survival. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment