Saturday 8 June 2013

A Cause For Concern

Anne is still in intensive care but doing well and should be back on the normal ward by Monday.

Well what happened to summer? Yesterday I was sunning myself on the decking, today I'm reaching for a jumper as the weather has taken a distinctly chilly turn. To be fair I have been really lucky with the weather so far, so I can't complain about an 'off' day. I wasn't planning to do anything today anyway so really it is no great loss.

Yesterday started rather gloomy but perked up by mid morning and it turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year so far.

I spent the morning busying myself with mundane tasks such as ironing as our Internet went down. I also did a couple of loads of washing which I hung out more in hope than expectation. However I was rewarded with a lovely afternoon and the bedsheets were so dry they were able to bypass the airing cupboard and go straight back on the bed. I love it when I can do that, somehow they feel so much fresher.

It may not look like much but it tasted divine.

After a quick lunch I set about making some strawberry ice cream with some of the fruit I'd bought that morning and as always I had loads of egg whites left over. So I whipped them up, added some sugar, formed them into rounds and baked them. When cool I added fresh raspberries mixed in whipped cream, sandwiched them together and added more cream and fruit. One very delicious Raspberry Pavlova and a rather nice light alternative to cake.

There isn't much to say about the rest of the day. I just read and snoozed and read and snoozed with the occasional forage back into the kitchen for a drink or another bowl of Pavlova. Maybe not the most exciting of days but certainly one very much needed and today will help get me back into shape for the delights of the week to come.

In the news.

Prince Phillip has had his operation and is now 'progressing satisfactorily', whatever that means. They are still not saying what is was that made the op necessary or what they found but at least he made it through the anesthetic OK, which is a blessing in itself.

Another internationally famous person in his nineties is causing concern today.

Nelson Mandela, who is ninety four, has been rushed into hospital with another chest infection and the family has been told to prepare for the worst. Mandela has been in and out of hospital a lot over the last eighteen months, rather like Prince Phillip, and each time it has been with a chest infection. Though on other occasions his admission has been precautionary, this time it seems a lot more serious and I fear we will be receiving some bad news before the weekend is over.

Right I'm off to find some socks because my feet are freezing. I'm hoping for another warm afternoon but I must admit it is looking less and less likely. Oh well a film afternoon it is then.

No comments:

Post a Comment