Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Decisions, Decisions

I am so pleased and excited. Andrew got an invitation for an interview at Herts Uni yesterday. We know it is only an interview and his place isn't yet confirmed but it is a step in the right direction. I am so pleased for him and the news has really lifted his spirits and given him the momentum he needed for his first round of exams which start tomorrow. Thankfully, despite his wanting to chuck it all in last week he has kept revising and as he is getting B's in his mocks I don't have any real worries. He is at home today and has had is head in his books since nine this morning, if he fails at least it won't be from lack of trying.

Four days off, though they promise to be busy ones. I have a trip to the Brompton on Friday which I'm not really looking forward too. They want to increase my meds again but I am extremely reluctant as I've only been nausea free for about a month after the last increase. I am particularly anxious because I have a day of assessment at Harefield and don't want to be so sick I can't go. You might think I'm being over anxious but when I tell you that each time they have increased my meds so far I've ended up vomiting for weeks afterwards, sometime so badly I can't even leave the bathroom, then you will see where I'm coming from. I know it sounds silly but at the moment the trip to Harefield is so much more important to me than the possible benefits of a small med increase. At the moment I'm feeling quite well, I'm able to eat and am actually putting on a bit of weight, I don't want to rock the boat. I'm hoping the Brompton will understand and agree to delay the increase, even if it is only for a week or so otherwise I'm going to have to get tough and just flatly refuse, and I really don't want to have to do that because I get on so well with everyone there.

When I return to work next week my hours are being increased from seven to eight, almost back to normal. It has taken me so long and I thought I'd never get there but here I am all ready to give it a go and see how I get on. I expect to feel tired, I was dead on my feet when I first went back up to seven hours a day so I expect no less from going up to eight. Luckily I have very sympathetic employers who allow me to take extra rest breaks if it is all getting too much. Now if I can just avoid another chest infection I reckon I'll be well on the way to returning to how I was this time last year before my body decided to throw a spanner in the works.

The news is still full of the capsized cruise liner and the phone call that has come to light between the ship's captain and one of the people in charge of the rescue. What a shocking dereliction of duty, I hope the captain is never put in charge of another ship because I certainly would not be happy sailing with him. Eleven people have now been confirmed dead while a further twenty eight are still missing. With time passing the likelihood of anyone still being found alive is remote. Would this have changed if the captain had stayed on board until all the passengers had been taken off? I doubt it but it would have made the families of the dead and the missing feel better knowing that their loved ones hadn't been abandoned by the man responsible for their safety.

Today was housework day. I had hoped that the weather would be nice enough to go out and take a few photos but it rained for most of the day. So I did all the household chores in the hope that if we do get a nice day during my remaining three days off I'll have time to go out and enjoy myself. How much do you want to bet that the only nice day will be Friday, when I'm at the hospital?