Thursday 9 February 2012

Only A Game?

It has been a very sad day at work, we lost a colleague to cancer. I didn't know him all that well but I work with those who do and I could feel their distress. News like this certainly puts the day to day pettiness we deal with into focus. I think it would be fair to say that today some callers were dealt with a little more robustly than usual.

On the whole I have been coping with my extended day pretty well but oh dear was I tired coming home today. I have one more day to get through and then I have four days off, can't wait.

I arrived home to an empty house as Andrew is starting his First Responder training this evening and Peter had to drive him to the venue. It was too far away to come back home and then go out and collect Andrew so Peter is staying with Andrew until the session ends. I am anxiously watching the weather because it is snowing quite hard at the moment. I don't think there is going to be a problem but if it gets any heavier there might be.

So what did I do with this new found freedom? Well after eating and making up my drugs I did exactly the same as I do every night after a day at work, I flopped in front of the TV.

The news is full of the resignation of Fabio Cappello and from the coverage you'd have thought the Queen had died. I am bemused at the fuss this event has caused. It dominates every news bulletin and fills every newspaper, why? OK I appreciate that for football fans this might be a big deal but it is hardly an earth shattering event. Is it equal to 9/11  for instance? No of course not but you wouldn't think so if you turned on the news. It has even pushed the crisis in Syria to the sidelines and personally I think what is going on there is much more important than some Italian throwing in the towel. No doubt there will be people out there who really believe it is the end of the world. Hopefully not many.

We are out and about this weekend. We have to take Andrew to complete his First Responder training so are taking the opportunity to explore somewhere we wouldn't normally visit to go shopping. I just hope it isn't going to be too cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment