Wednesday, 30 October 2013

A Tale of Two Kitties

I'd like to say thank you for all the support and kind messages I've received since Monday. They are very welcomed and it is lovely to see how many people understand.

The sun is shining on Tarmac this morning and if I close my eyes I can see him stretched out warming his tummy. When I woke up this morning, for a few delicious seconds, I'd forgotten so when I felt a sudden weight on the end of the bed I braced myself for the paw on my face and the cold nose touching mine. The weight stayed on the end of the bed though and when I pulled the covers back there was Smirnoff washing his tail.

Tarmac loved showing off his rather ample tummy.

Poor Smirnoff, he's a bit confused by all the extra attention he's getting.

Unlike Tarmac Smirnoff is very independent and is not a 'cuddly' cat. I won't say he's not affectionate because that would be wrong but he likes to express it in different ways. He won't sit on your lap but will sit beside you on the settee. He won't lie pressed against you on the bed but is happy on your feet. And he most definitely doesn't like being picked up and cuddled. Smirnoff shows his love by 'talking' to you with a series of squeaks and meows. He loves being groomed and will purr like a drain when you brush him nudging you leg with his head when you've done. And he is stoic when being cried on, which is a massive help.

Put. Me. Down. Now!
Some well meaning people have suggested the best way to dull the pain is to get another cat but it is far too soon. Besides I already have another cat but as much as I love him he can never replace Tarmac because Tarmac was most definitely 'MY' cat. So if Smirnoff cannot replace him how can a stranger? Added to that is the fact that Smirnoff is also elderly, only a couple of weeks separate them. I don't think it would be fair on Smirnoff to introduce a lively, bouncy kitten to the house. So for now we are staying a one cat family.

So how am I doing? Well exhaustion finally did it's thing and I had a long peaceful night. I've been force fed an omlette and have picked at some fruit. I'm crying less but when it comes it has the force and intensity that shakes my body until it hurts. I had a cleaning frenzy yesterday when everyone was out and was roundly told off when Peter got back. On the plus side the antibiotics seem to be kicking in and I'm feeling less raw and breathless this morning.

A brief lull in hostilities

I've decided to write this week off work wise. I'm not physically, emotionally or mentally in the right place to be dealing with other people's problems.

Later today Peter it going to take me out for a little drive. He thinks the distraction will help and I think he might be right, we'll see.