Saturday 18 January 2014

Saturday Afternoon Family Time

I've had a lovely day today. All my men have been at home and we've had a good meal, a good chat and shared lots of laughter.

Smirnoff was a real pain though. Jumping up on everyone demanding cuddles and trying to steal food. He did manage to get some crisps off Laurence and a small spoonful of cannelloni from me, which he turned his nose up at.

Today I also finally hung out my bird feeders. The problem is that the weather has been so mild, not to mention wet and windy, that I kept forgetting it was winter. Still better late than never and it wasn't long before the lawn was full of little feathered friends, including a very bold robin who hopped right up to the patio doors and peered in through the glass. However the long term forecast is predicting much colder weather in February, so at least I'm in time for that.

Due to Laurence being here I haven't really had a chance to do any painting this weekend as yet. I think this might end up being an ongoing problem. I'm so busy on my days off doing the shopping, seeing the boys, going to hospital appointments and doing housework that I don't get that much 'me' time. I think the painting will come into it's own during those weeks of enforced rest when I'm ill. And of course when the days get longer and hotter I'll be able to sit in the garden in the evenings and work. When you arrive home in the dark you don't really feel like getting out the paints. However I'm hopeful of getting some time tomorrow, we will see.

Chin tickles
My poor friend Stacie is going through a bad patch at the moment and is a bit down. She's written a very moving blog post saying how she's feeling. It is well worth a read and exactly expresses how all those on the transplant list and suffering from PH feel from time to time. The link to Stacie's blog is on the right hand side of this page.

When you read the desperate words of people like Stacie it makes you wonder how some people are able to live with themselves.

You probably remember me posting a while ago about a so called friend, now decidedly ex, who announced she was going in to Papworth for transplant and turned up the next day without any explanation, totally unapologetic, after causing lots of people a whole heap of worry and lack of sleep. Well she's been at it again. Apparently a miracle has happened and she has suddenly been cured of PH as well. From death's door to cured in the space of four months without any medical intervention whatsoever. Whatever next! If only it was possible for the rest of us.

Andrew has finished his exams and is feeling pretty confident. He now only has to pass his finals in May and we'll have a fully qualified paramedic on our hands. To add to his upbeat mood no less than three ambulance services are showing interest in him. The next few months are going to be full of interviews, selection days and that probably means a lot of running around for us too but it will be worth it if he manages to walk straight out of uni into a job.

In the news I, like the rest of the country, am anxiously watching the news for updates on missing toddler Mikaeel. Unfortunately it seems a body has been found and the mother arrested. Of course they are not saying it is definitely him but it was found on land near her sister's house so you can draw your own conclusions there.

I have to say I am saddened by the news but not surprised. In theses cases it is almost always a family member or a close friend of the family that turns out to be the offender. Very rarely is the murder of a small child the work of a stranger.

No doubt there will be much beating of chests from friends, neighbours and social services about how they always suspected there was something 'going on'. It would not surprise me at all if the authorities, including health workers, social workers and possibly even the police, were aware of the family and had been for some time. And yet here we are again, another child dead, more 'lessons to be learned' and yet nothing is ever done. Of course this is all speculation on my part and I may be very wrong. However if I'm right then maybe it's time the wheels of bureaucracy ground a bit faster and instead of just sitting around talking about it someone actually did something to stop this happening again.

Also in the news Zara Tindale/Phillips has given birth to a baby girl, sixteenth in line to the throne no less. What a contrast to another recent royal birth. To be honest I think Zara was the lucky one, she was allowed to enjoy her pregnancy in peace. She will also be able to bring up her daughter out of the glare of the media. Sometimes it's good not to be top dog.

A statement was released from the Schumacher camp yesterday to say Michael is now stable. Let's hope he remains so and improves very soon.

Time to grab a banana and chill out in front of the TV. Well I didn't say I'd give it up altogether did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment