Sunday 28 July 2013

The Little Irritations of Life

We finally had our thunderstorm, well if you can call one flash, one bang and about six distant rumbles a storm. We had a huge amount of rain though and that has perked up the garden and cooled things down considerably. I loved lying in bed last night hearing the rain battering my window. So much more relaxing than the whine of the fan I've had on for the past month. I slept better last night too.

This morning it is very breezy and much cooler with the odd splash of sunshine here and there. Just my type of weather. I know everyone will be moaning about the 'end of the summer' but just two days ago everyone was moaning about how hot is was. You can't win with some people.


After catching up on my soaps I then settled down yesterday afternoon to watch one of my favourite films, The King and I. I always cry at the end but my enjoyment was rather tempered this time around by the banging, drilling and swearing going on on the other side of the living room window.

Last week Andrew blew his exhaust. Peter performed a patch up with a baked bean tin and ordered a new one. The intention was to do a quick switch over and send him on his way. However, as is the way with these things, the old exhaust has different ideas and is proving to be the devil's own job to part from the bike. Peter has now moved onto drilling the old bolts out. Hopefully fixing the new exhaust will be child's play after this.

Talking of Andrew, he is having real difficulty adjusting to sleeping during the day and staying awake at night. This is partly because of the heat and partly because of the noise coming from the garage as Peter desperately tries to fix his bike. At least the heat side of things has been sorted out, for now. I suspect he'll end up getting through Monday night in a daze and then he'll be OK, until he has to get his pattern back to normal for his next shift.

Andrew isn't the only one on nights this week, Laurence is too. He is popping up to see me tomorrow before his shift starts. I will cook something nice for him, I just don't know what yet.

It is our thirtieth wedding anniversary in two weeks. How one earth did we manage that! A lot of my friends have married and divorced twice in that time. I don't know what the secret is, find someone you completely bond with I suppose. We've been through a lot together and nearly come to grief on more than one occasion but we've always managed to work it out. I guess that's where we might differ, we have always been able to talk to each other.

Anyway, I've been scratching my head as to what to get him for this very special occasion. We will go out for a meal, that is a no brainer, and we will probably be very naughty and have a glass of champers or two but I wanted to do something special. Peter has been my rock since I went down with PH. He has worried with me, encouraged me and sometimes put his foot down and ordered me to do things. He needs a medal for courage too. So this year I wanted to show my appreciation by getting him something very special, but what?


After much deliberation and a lot of research I think I've come up with the ideal thing. Unfortunately I can't tell you because I want it to be a real surprise and I can't guarantee that someone won't let the secret slip. So I'm going to have to sit on my hands and keep my mouth firmly zipped. I'm so excited and can't wait to see his reaction.  All will be revealed on the 13th August or later.

The next blog will be on Wednesday, yes really, it will. I have taken a couple of days off so I can go and see my mum but as always there has been a little hiccup.

Andrew is on nights until Friday so we were going to go and just leave him to look after the cats. However he then announced he'd 'sort of got my timings wrong' and girlfriend Svet would be arriving on Thursday morning from Bulgaria and could we please pick her up. Not too much of a problem we thought, we will go down Thursday instead. Who were we trying to kid? Andrew won't be home until Friday and we don't want to leave the poor girl on her own in a strange house, in a strange country. So now we are going down on Friday and will have to be back on Sunday a neither Peter or myself could get the Monday off from work.

It's going to be a very short visit but at least I will get to see my mum, after two years of trying. I also have two weeks off in September so I'm planning a week then, provided our off spring do not come up with any other problems to get in the way.

Well I've got a heap of ironing to do, where does it all come from? And hopefully a restful afternoon making frozen yogurt planned. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment