Saturday 31 December 2011

Happy New Year

I am a little bit miffed today and I'm even more miffed that the reason I'm so miffed is a soap opera.

Eastenders have the audacity to kill off my favourite character, Pat Butcher, but that's only the start of it. First they give her angina, they follow this up with a pulmonary embolism and then top it all off with cancer. It's the cancer I have issues with. The cancer is supposed to be so advance and so wide spread that she only has days left. I've known people with cancer and I know for a fact that people with cancer as advanced as hers is supposed to be would be rolling in agony months ago. All she's had is 'a bit of belly ache now and again'. She'd have also lost weight but if anything is larger than ever. Now I love my soaps, they are my wind down after a difficult day, they are something I look forward too when I'm so ill all I can do is watch TV but more and more they are becoming unrealistic in order to hype up the drama. For those who don't know, Pat has been in the soap for twenty five years so her death is going to be a huge event however she dies. A simple heart attack or even passing in her sleep would have sufficed. Instead they have turned the event into a pantomime and totally devalued it.

It has been an odd couple of days. The time of year brings out the best and the worst in people, add to that the total lack of common sense and there have been some very odd goings on. Most of it could be solved if people just thought about what they were doing and showed some consideration for others. I am ever so glad I'm off tomorrow, I think it will be manic.

A quick update on the three policemen hurt in a road accident. They are all still in hospital and said to be in good spirits. Thanks goodness for that.

As I write this I'm waiting for Laurence to arrive. He will be staying over night so we can have a big family dinner tomorrow. He's had a bit of a rough Christmas so I think being pampered by his mum will be just what he needs.

Andrew went out last night with friends and rolled in at quarter to one but still reasonably sober. I don't know if he felt guilty about waking me up coming in but when I arrived home all the vacumming and floor mopping had been done.

Tonight we will settle down in front of the TV with some snacks and champers and watch the fireworks while toasting in the New Year. 2011 has been a fairly crap year for me one way or another. I've spent a great deal of it in hospital and at one point was so poorly all I could do was sit. I'm hoping that 2012 will be better, in fact I'm hoping it will be my year and I finally get my transplant. And if I can't have my transplant then I hope I can at least avoid long periods of ill health.

Here's a Happy New Year to all, I hope your wishes and dreams come true in 2012. See you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment